For this course, the following skills are required: CSS & CSS 3, HTML & HTML 5, XML, basics of PHP and comfortable with the use of the command line.
Students should have experience working with the Magento 1 platform.
This course will introduce Magento 1 front end developers to the Magento 2 platform. Students will understand the fundamentals of Magento's templating system and learn how Magento themes work and all the components of a theme, especially layouts, page templates and block templates. Students will learn to customize both the look and feel and the functionality of a website at the theme level.
This course is based on Magento Community Edition v2.1.0
Unit 1: Overview of Theming in Magento
- Folder Structure
- Static files classification
- Deployment Process
- Fallback Process
- M1 <> M2 Comparison
- .less files organization
- Style-m and styles-l files
- Customization approached for .less files
- .less files deployment and compilation options
- Using Grunt for deployment and compilation
- Extending Grunt configuration
- Non-less files deployment
Layout XML, Blocks & Templates
- Layouts overview in M2
- Layout files location
- Page layouts
- Basic CSS and JS inclusion
- Layout files and directives
- Intro into blocks